We invite you to come and enjoy our full service 18-hole golfing facility.
Also available to play Par 3 Laid out within the normal course.
The Hillsdale golf course (Annapolis Royal Golf Course), situated, just west
of the Town of Annapolis Royal,” Cradle of Canada”, offers a unique blend of
character, history and challenging golf in a setting of great natural beauty.
Annapolis Royal is synonymous with history and Hillsdale is synonymous
with Annapolis Royal.
Fifty years have come and gone since October 1924 when “certain persons”
residents of the town of Annapolis Royal and vicinity, called at the town Hall
for the purpose of forming a club to establish golf links and promote the
playing of golf and other games. As a result the Albion Valley golf club was
formed and H. A. West elected the first president.
Since the purpose of this group coincided with that of William Perkins,
owner and proprietor of the famous Annapolis Royal Hostelry, the Hillsdale
House, a committee was formed to enter into negotiations with Mr Perkins.
W.A Livingston, a local barrister, F. W. Pickels, prominent merchant and ship
owner, and the Honorable Robert E. Harris, then chief Justice of Nova
Scotia, drafted an agreement whereby Mr Perkins would “lay out and
maintain” a golf course at Allains Creek on the property formerly known as
the Pyke or Goucher Farm. The newly formed club contracted to pay Mr
Perkins annual dues up to one thousand dollars for the use of his property,
with the understanding that a club house would be provided before the end
of the 1926 season. Mr Perkins reserved the right to keep all fees paid by
“transient” players.
It soon became evident
that the Pyke property
was insufficient to
accommodate a 9 hole
course. Judge Harris
and Mr Pickels came to
the rescue by obtaining
title to the Edwards
property formerly
known as the Fullerton
place) on the north side
of the highway. The
acquisition of this
property led to one of Hillsdale’s most notable (and hazardous)
characteristics a golf course bisected by the main public highway. A further
agreement with Perkins was drafted whereby the combined properties
were to be used for golf purposes, and the “golf links were to continue and
become a permanent institution”.
The original group met again at the town hall in 1925. The by-laws were
accepted, the name of the club changed to Hillsdale and Mr Perkins began
immediate construction of the course.
From modest beginning of only three holes, Hillsdale gradually expanded to
its present day proportions. Unlike modern professionally designed
courses, Hillsdale, like topsy, “just growed” out of orchard land, hilly terrain,
pasture land and swampland. And from this more or less, natural growth
emerged all the features that are uniquely Hillsdale.
At a casual glance, the 9 hole 2258 yard course looks like a duffers dream.
But for every dreamer, there is a seasoned Hillsdale veteran who can testify
that the 32 Par designated on the
score card is almost as elusive as the
pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
The narrow hilly fairways, bounded on
either side by thickets and dense
orchard grass, provide challenge
enough for any golfer.
Accuracy is the keynote at Hillsdale.
For the golfer who prides himself on
his chip and putt game, the five par 3
holes are just the place to test his
mettle. The real test for the long
hitter is 440yds par 5 number 5.
Faced with the prospect of
simultaneously hitting across a water
hole, around a dog leg and circumventing an acre of water logged marsh,
even the most stoic golfer is in danger of being psyched out on the tee.
One of the shortest holes, 155 yds number 6, offers yet another challenge.
The flag may be just a 5 iron shot up the steep, boulder –dotted fairway, but
the out of bounds Highway ditch at the back of the green is no respecter of
score cards. However, this hole offers a bonus that has nothing to do with a
well executed iron shot.
Everywhere at Hillsdale the golfer is treated to a panoramic view of
mountains, water and marshlands, but the view from no 6 is worth far more
than the price of admission. From this vantage point the country side
spreads out like a vast amphitheatre, with the wooded face of the north
Mountain forming a dramatic back drop. Across the way, the white frame
houses and tall church spires of the picturesque little village of Granville
Ferry lie mirrored in the shimmering waters of the Annapolis River. A sense
of timelessness overtakes the viewer as he follows the natural sweep of the
landscape to the ramparts of Old Fort Anne, where three centuries ago
British and French troops fought for supremacy over the ancient province of
Acadia. In the foreground are the dyked marshes where Acadian farmers
once grew their wheat and transported it up nearby Allains Creek to
Poutrincourt’s grist mill in Lequille.
In the late spring, the air is heavy with the fragrance of apple blossoms and
sweet smelling summer clover. In the fall many a hungry golfer picks his
lunch from the gnarled old Gravestein trees near number 9 tee. What few
contemporary golfers realise is that these same trees, along with the
Baldwins and Nonpareils on other parts of the course, provided winter fare
for the students of the Henderson school which was once located on the
premises.
Known as the Albion Valley Academy, the school was established in 1832 by
Andrew Henderson and provided accommodations for boarders from St
John, Bermuda, Halifax and other Nova Scotia towns. The students paid
thirty pounds a year to study such subjects as geography, English grammar,
lane trigonometry and navigation.
Andrew Henderson considered Albion Vale “an ideal spot to train his boys
and keep them free from bad associations”. The same could be said of
Hillsdale today, an ideal spot for juniors to find good company and while
away the pleasant summer days.
Clyde Goucher, a cousin of Bill Perkins, recalls that when his grandparents
(Perkins) owned the farm, they lived in the fifteen room house that had been
the Henderson School. Shortly after the property was purchased by Bill
Perkins the house burned to the ground by courtesy of a grass fire.
Times have changed and the distraught golfer flailing through the grass-
shrouded mound between number 3 and 8 tees little realises that he is
violating an historic landmark.
Many Citizens of the Annapolis Royal area played a significant role in the
development and prosperity of Hillsdale.
Golfers came and went, but the golf links were well on the way to becoming a”
permanent institute” through the efforts of a small nucleus of dedicated local
members. Well known Annapolis Names such as Pickup, Mills, Harris, King, Owen
and Doull appear over and over in the minutes.
In 1928 residents of Bridgetown and area were invited to join the club and these
new members proved to be valuable assets. Among executive members during those
early years was aJudge K.L. Crowell, who left Hillsdale in 1940 to construct the aptly
named Eden golf course at West Paradise.
As Hillsdale became established, cups were donated (among them Harris Cup) –
1928, Prescesky Cup – 1939, both still in play), rules made and changed as necessity
dictated, life members appointed and a tea committee formed. Composed of
associate members, the tea committee played a vital role in the social and financial
life of the club. Rain or shine, three Saturdays a month from the inception of the club
to the mid 1950s the ladies of this committee served afternoon tea to golfers and
guests at a minimal fee. On the fourth Saturday they served their famous bean and
scallop suppers.
Through the tireless efforts of the tea ladies a rainy day fund was gradually built up
and in 1941 a special bank account was opened under the name of the Hillsdale golf
club and tea fund.
Financially, Hillsdale struggled along on a shoe string.
Membership dues ($25.00 for residents, $10.00 for
additional family members and $2.00 for a tea member)
rarely netted sufficient funds to meet the annual
commitment to Mr Perkins.
Membership drives met with little success and it grew
increasingly difficult to obtain concessions from the
course owners. Memberships decreased alarmingly
during the war years and in 1941 the handwriting was on
the wall. In that year, discouraged by the lack of support,
the executive resigned in a body. Distressed by this turn
of events, Mr Perkins reduced the club rental fee and a
new executive limped along until 1945.
At the annual meeting in April 1945, only the executive
gave an appearance. The president stated that since there was a credit balance of
only 50cents and no enthusiasm shown, it was advisable to suspend the club’s
activities and notify Mr Perkins of this action.
There were no further club minutes until 1949 when an annual meeting was held at
the Annapolis District community centre ( purchased by the town from Cornwallis
Naval Base immediately afer W.W. II and a full slate of officers and committee heads
appointed. Newcomer to the area provided the necessary incentive and by 1951 a
revitalized Hillsdale was in full swing. Improvements were made to the fairways,
Clyde Goucher employed as caretaker and Mrs Francis employed at the newly
improved clubhouse.
During this period the association with Cornwallis began to figure prominently and
special concessions were made to service personnel. In keeping with the new wave
of enthusiasm, more attention was paid to handicaps and tournaments were set up
with other clubs. One of the most significant changes took place in 1957 when
Hillsdale joined the Royal Nova Scotia Golf Association, making 100 per cent
membership of clubs in Nova
Scotia.
In the early sixties, a ladies’
division was formed as a
separate club entity.
Wednesday morning Ladies’
days became a permanent
institution, trophies were set
up and Ladies’ match play
instigated. With the help of a
large membership from C.F.B.
Cornwallis, the ladies division
went on to become
enthusiastic Hillsdale
supporters and dedicated club
workers.
In 1969 the Ladies’ division came of age and joined the Canadian Ladies Golf
Association, thus entitling members to enter provincial field days and participate in
C.L.G.A. pin days. In 1973 the Hillsdale Ladies’ division held their first invitational
field Day and now plan to make this an annual event.
In the early sixties, club members became weary of the continual financial wrangles
with the course owner and began to consider purchasing the course. By 1965
membership had increased to 202 (over 80 in 1951) and the executive felt that the
club was in a strong enough position to enter negotiations. A meeting was held to
discuss the possibility of purchasing the club jointly with Cornwallis. However, this
proposal fell through and in 1966 the course was sold by Mr Perkins to Henry
Reardon, a Halifax physician, and his wife Barbara.
By virtue of this purchase a new era dawned for Hillsdale. Operating under the
name of Hillsdale Golf and Country Club Limited, Dr Reardon assumed full financial
responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the course and the provision of
canteen and pro-shop facilities. Released from the bug bear of meeting annual
rental commitments, club members were able to devote more time and energy to
general club activities.
Dr Reardon engaged, Gordon Shaw as Hillsdale’s first Pro, hired the late Art
Mackenzie as canteen manager, and began immediate improvements to the course.
Under the supervision of Shaw, an expert at course design and construction, new
tees were built, vast improvements made to greens and two new holes (the present 3
& 4) constructed. The new holes added badly needed yardage to the course and
relieved the night mare congestion of the former 2, 3 and 4 fairways.
Gordon Shaw also concentrated on junior development. Under his tutelage several
fine young golfers emerged, among them Dr Reardons son Mike, the present
Hillsdale champion. “Gordy” left Hillsdale after two years to construct and manage
the Clare golf and Country Club, and was replaced in 1973 by Ernie Butler.
Well known in Maritime golfing circles, Ernie began further renovations to the
course. As a result, this year Hillsdale will celebrate its fiftieth birthday with the
opening of two additional fairways. Extending beyond the driveway and well to the
back of the clubhouse, the new 305 yard par 4 number 10 and Par 5 number 11 will
provide a greater challenge to all golfers.
As Hillsdale approaches the mid century mark, a little stock taking seems in order.
The certain persons who called at the Town Hall’ in 1924 would perhaps be
disturbed by changes in the social patterns over the years. The leisurely afternoon
teas on the club house veranda have been replaced by the impromptu Saturday
evening BBQ and the “founding fathers” have been supplanted by the ladies Division
as the backbone of the club. Golfing styles, rules and etiquette have certainly been
altered.
The founding fathers can rest content, secure in the knowledge that through the
significant contribution of latter day golfers “The golf links have continued and
become a permanent institution.”
History of Annapolis
Royal Golf Club.
Annapolis Royal and Hillsdale Golf club where
Golfing & History go hand in hand.